Thursday, October 27, 2016

You are not always what you think you are 10-27-2016



This is so true.  Case in point:  I am a baseball fan and have not been able to find the World Series on TV here and given that people from other parts of the country have issues with being able to watch football games in their area I was about ready to join them in commiserating about the media blackout for some of us.  I searched many terms to try to find it in my local listings to no avail.  I think of myself as a pretty good researcher, even given my tendency to be easily distracted and amused while doing so.

I was ready to give up and pout a bit and was thinking I am not a good researcher after all, when I realized that many times I have gone to the best resource available, my housemate Anita.  She can find anything and do it fast and efficiently, which she did.  And I realized at that moment that I am not a bad researcher at all, she is just quicker at it and thinks a little differently so she is able to find what she is looking for without wasting any time at it.

In that moment, as I criticized myself, I was not giving myself any credit at all.  Did being less quick make me a bad researcher?  No, it did not, it just made me a less quick researcher.  In the end I did know how to get the answer to my query and sometimes the resources we use are not just on the internet and therefore my research was completed.

No, I am not a bad researcher after all and I did come to the conclusion that:

You are never what you think you are if you are not giving yourself any credit while thinking it.

No comments:

Post a Comment